Generic Title: Director
Functional Title: Executive Director, MEMPROW
Reports To: Board Chair
Incumbent: Dr. Hilda M Tadria
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The Mentoring and Empowerment Programme for Young Women (MEMPROW) is a feminist organisation that brings together girls and young women (14-29) from across the African region and works to provide the skills and knowledge that they need to become successful, confident and self-reliant individuals. Inspired by a vision of A transformed, violence free society where young women and girls can claim their rights and achieve their aspirations, MEMPROW’s mission is,
To develop girls and young women’s leadership capacities and self-reliance through training and intergenerational mentoring; feminist movement and advocacy networks building; social analysis and research; as well as peer learning within institutions of learning and local communities.
Guided by the organisation’s Strategic Plan (2016 – 2020) MEMPROW’s key expected results include violence free communities and the ‘MEMPROW GIRL’ – empowered, self-reliant and confident with marketable skills, voice and who is not afraid to advocate for gender and social justice. MEMPROW will be celebrating 10 years in 2018, and seeks to recruit a new Executive Director (ED) with a purpose of taking over from the current Founder executive Director. The duty station will be at the main office, currently based at Plot 1476, Muyenga Road, Kampala.
The Executive Director is a full-time employee of MEMPROW, a small but very well managed and effective Secretariat of 9 professional staff members. The Executive Director will provide strategic direction, thought leadership, resource and talent management, technical oversight and quality assurance within the MEMPROW Secretariat. She will engage with and expand the existing network of key donors and other partners that support MEMPROW’s ongoing business development.
The Executive Director is expected to introduce innovative ideas and initiatives that will ensure the organisation’s relevance in a changing world. She must maintain the feminist principles and core values of the organisation in her leadership and management. She must be a good steward in resource utilization, professionalism in programme development, justice and equity in human rights management and good public relations in all her interactions with all stakeholders.
She must actively keep in sight the following key drivers of MEMPROW:
- A human rights/Feminist approach
- An ideology of change which targets patriarchy as the structural cause of gender inequalities and
- A vision which focuses on building Transformative leadership capacity among young women.
The Executive Director will head MEMPROW and serve as lead member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and report directly to the Board Chair.
- Roles and responsibilities as Executive Director
The Executive Director has complete oversight for programme development and implementation management as well as supervision of all staff (Programme managers and officers) who will implement the programmes that serve the interests and needs of MEMPROW’s stakeholders, especially girls and young women. In doing this, the ED will maintain a human rights and feminist approach and values of gender justice, social diversity in programme development while ensuring high professional standards in programme implementation as well as staff team work.
In the role as Executive director, the responsibilities are:
- Executive Leadership and Management
- Provide executive leadership in the development and execution of MEMPROW’S strategy.
- Maintain the Organization’s policies, by monitoring staff compliance and ensuring the policies are up to date, consistent and approved by the Board.
- Ensure effective Management of human resources including recruitment, supervision, development, evaluation motivation and retention.
- Exert clear financial management controls by preparing and operating within the annual budget.
- Manage the day to day decisions while guiding courses of action for operations.
- Interface with the staff, Board, community, and funders while updating them with sufficient and up to date information.
- Strategic Leadership
- Advocate and promote MEMPROW’S human rights and feminist approach while ensuring compliance with statutory laws and regulations.
- Provide overall strategic guidance to the staff team in terms of topical areas of focus particularly in terms of emerging areas of need for young women.
- Maintain a strategic focus to the work of MEMPROW and ensure that the organization is strategically positioned to assume opportunities and navigate challenges in the operating and funding environments.
- Fundraising and Mobilization:
- Lead the development of MEMPROW’s fundraising strategy towards a diverse collective of donors and strategic partners. The latter could constitute partners for collaboration.
- Engage the stakeholders, government partners, statutory bodies, civil society and staff to support MEMPROW’S activities.
- Build partnerships with the community focusing on MEMPROW’s originality, dynamism and innovativeness to enhance non-traditional development models.
- Initiate innovative ideas and strategies for resource mobilization.
- Promotion and visibility
- To build, promote and maintain a positive public image of the MEMPROW brand ensuring that Communication and Information standards conform to the Communication and Awareness strategy.
- Engage in partner meetings and activities to maintain active relationships with the existing partnerships and for MEMPROW’s visibility.
- Represent MEMPROW externally, including with donors, partners, and in conferences, events and networks
- Corporate Governance and Risk Management
- Promote and ensure corporate governance best practices with sound values and ethics.
- Create a risk aware culture throughout the Organization to identify and mitigate Financial, Operational and Strategic risks.
- Be accountable for all MEMPROW’s processes of Follow up, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and timely reporting to the partners.
- Qualifications and Skills:
The qualifying candidate must possess a Masters Degree in a Social Science discipline and other related courses from reputable Institutions. Should have a minimum 10 years of working experience in at least a Senior Management position with full accountability, with ability to articulate critical gender issues affecting girls and young women on the African continent.
Professional skills should include Monitoring and Evaluation, Computer skills including use of Excel and excellent English writing and speaking skills.
As a prospective head of the organisation, she will be expected to lead by example, showing the highest ethical standards and integrity as well as full commitment in providing direction and supervision to all staff. She will also be expected to maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Solid feminist consciousness, and understanding of women’s rights and empowerment, especially on issues such as adolescents and transitions to adulthood, child marriage, sexual reproductive health and rights, and positive youth development.
- Strategic thinking and negotiation skills to help shape a strong agenda for advancing MEMPROW’s agenda.
- Demonstrable experience and successful track record in management of complex projects, including financial, talent, planning & execution and relationships aspects.
- Outstanding written skills and demonstrated track record of producing high quality deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to adapt to different cultural settings.
- Demonstrated people management skills demonstrating maturity and diplomacy.
- Ability to package and communicate complex and technical information in accessible forms for lay audiences—in both written and verbal communication.
- Versatility, flexibility, and adaptability in responding to projects under evolution.
- Sense of confidence and comfort level with guiding donors, clients, and partners with clear direction and recommendations in mind.
- Strong, strategic sense for business development.
- Other social skills including problem solving and good public relation skills and diplomacy are an added advantage.
Deadline for Application
The deadline for this application is Friday 26th April 2019. Interested candidates should send their letter of Interest (LOI) to the Board Chair using the following email address email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.