At the beginning of the project year 2019, 40 child mothers were trained on social survival skills, entrepreneurship, and Human and child rights and how they can be violated plus also information on access to justice. Sexual Reproductive Health Rights, Peer Pressure and group dynamics and they formed 4 groups from the parishes of Kalwang, Koch, Jupangira and Pawong in Nebbi Sub County. These child mothers became economically empowered after the entrepreneurship training which gave them knowledge on enterprise selection and how to develop business ideas. At least 35 child mothers started small businesses to earn them incomes to sustain them and their babies.
They also worked and supported each other through peer mentorship and savings in their respective groups. They are all registered at the Sub county Headquarters and one of the groups is lucky as it is now linked to benefit out of the CDD funds next financial year.
Much as COVID-19 had a number of challenges clad to it, the child mothers shared some success stories they experienced as below.
- Two child mothers, one Muber Irene and Liberty Awekonimungu managed to complete their tailoring training and Irene out of her savings with support from her uncle bought a sewing machine which she is now using to make clothes.
- About 30 child mothers have stable running incomes from small business they are doing; such businesses include selling charcoal, silver fish, beans, chapatti, mandazzi and so on.
- 35 of the child mothers are at least doing savings in their groups and other VLSA in the different communities.
- From the skills trained on soap making one Hajara Gipatho managed to invest her capital and is currently doing the soap business alongside her tea business.
- 05 child mothers also completed their training on hair dressing and are practicing it to earn them money to sustain their needs and that of their children.
So this refresher training was to enable the child mothers learn from each other about what was trained and compare with how they are progressing. The session included self-empowerment, entrepreneurship and Nutrition (balance diet) and personal hygiene from 30th November to 02 December 2020.